Town History

Website Header (11) - Copy

The Town of Irmo began as a rural settlement around a water and refueling stop for trains traveling the Columbia, Newberry, and Laurens Railroad. The town was incorporated on December 24, 1890, and was named after two officials of the railroad- Mr. Iredell and Mr. Moseley.

Irmo continued as a sleepy rural town until the development of several subdivisions in the late 1960’s – early 1970’s. The growth of the area proceeded at a steady pace until the late 1970s when the growth of the Irmo area spread, to some extent like “wildfire”.

The 2000 Census for the Town of Irmo showed the population of the town had increased by 96% in the last 10 years. The official population as of 2000 was 11,039, making Irmo the largest Lexington County municipality.

The Town of Irmo employs approximately 46 people in the Administration, Police, and Public Service Departments. The Town operates under the Council form of government as provided for in the South Carolina State Code. The mayor and four council members set policy and establish the Town Codes, while the Town Administrator is responsible for the day-to-day operations. Council serves a four-year term with elections staggered every two years. In addition, the Town of Irmo relies heavily on the volunteer efforts of local citizens who serve on committees such as the Okra Strut Commission, the Planning Commission, and the Zoning Board of Appeals.


In December 1988, the Irmo Town Hall staff moved into their current building at 7300 Woodrow Street. The new town hall was donated by the Lown family, and it was moved onto the property owned by the Town at the corner of Woodrow Street and Columbia Avenue. The Lown House was built around the turn of the century. The restored Victorian House, now the Irmo Town Hall, sits proudly behind the towering willow oaks, which are older than the town itself and face the railroad that spurred the founding of Irmo.