The Town of Irmo has contracted with Tyler’s Sanitation to provide sanitation and recycling services to residents within the town limits of Irmo. They are responsible to provide roll-carts for household trash and Recyclables. If you do not have either of these, or yours is broken, please submit a Sanitation Request online for a new roll-cart or replacement.
If you are moving into a new construction home within the town limits of Irmo, please submit a Sanitation Request online for service. You will receive a packet with the recycle schedule and a bill for the first year of service from Town Hall. Your roll carts will come from the Tyler’s Sanitation company.
If you are moving into an existing home, your sanitation bill is in with your tax bill. If you don’t know your scheduled day or don’t have your recycling and/or household roll cart, please submit a Sanitation Request online .
Household Trash is collected either on Wednesday, Thursday or Friday depending on where you live in the town. Please call (803)781-7050 or submit a Sanitation Request online for your scheduled day.
Special Items (Bulk Items) You must call Tyler Sanitation at (803)626-9000 to arrange a special pickup.
Recyclables is collected every “other” week on Tuesdays. Please click on 2021 Recycling Calendar to view the Recycling Calendar. If you do not know whether you are on a Week A or Week B schedule, please call Irmo Town Hall.
Yard Trash is collected on Mondays.
Residents must place their containers next to the curb the night before pickup, and remove them from the curb before 7:00 am the following morning after the day of pickup. For additional information, please see Chapter 26 - Solid Waste Management and Exhibit A.
To serve our citizens as efficiently as possible, please read through this page for rules, tips and requirements. Please click on Keep Irmo Beautiful to see a brief list of our rules and requirements.
Household Trash Collection
All household garbage must be in securely tied plastic bags and placed inside of provided trash containers. Containers provided by Tyler’s Sanitation must be placed by the roadway/curb the night before pickup. Once your garbage containers have been emptied, please remove the container from the curb before 7:00 am the following morning after the day of pickup. Garbage containers shall not be left out by the roadway or curb.
Items accepted with Household Trash on your normal pickup day may include paint cans. Please note paint cans will only be accepted with the lid off and if the paint is completely dry (If not, fill with sand or kitty litter and place next to curb). Do not put yard trash or construction debris in the roll cart.
If you have “Special Items” or "Bulk Items" such as small appliances, mattresses, small furniture, etc., you must call Tyler Sanitation at (803)626-9000 to arrange a special pickup. All Bulk Item collection will be provided on an "on call basis" for Irmo Residents (Not Landlords). Please note this service does NOT include the following:
- Total House Emptying
- Debris Removal (or Construction Debris)
- Microwave Ovens
- Any other items requiring special handling
Tyler Sanitation services the Irmo community five days a week (Please note that Federal Holidays may disrupt the schedule). There are factors that can delay pickup of household garbage and can possibly lead to garbage collection occurring the following day.
Below are some reasons your household garbage may not be collected if any of the following items are in the roll cart:
- Yard Waste
- Construction Debris
- Paint, Oil or Other Hazardous Waste
- Gas Tanks, Tires or Other Car Parts
Household Trash is collected either on Wednesday, Thursday or Friday depending on where you live in the town. Your Yard Trash will be picked up on Monday. If your garbage is not collected on your scheduled day, we encourage you to call (803)626-9000.
The Town of Irmo encourages all residents to recycle. Recycling roll carts can be requested from the Town of Irmo, who provides recycling services. If you currently don’t have a recycling roll cart and would like one, you may call either Makayla Moore at Town Hall (803) 781-7050 or Tyler’s Sanitation at (803)626-9000 or submit a Sanitation Request online.
Recycling is collected every other Tuesday. Please call (803)626-9000 or submit a Sanitation Request online to get find out whether you are on a Week A or Week B schedule as well as request a 2021 Recycling Calendar
The following products ARE recyclable:
- Newspaper and inserts
- Newspaper-like paper
- Plastic milk jugs and soda bottles
- Clear and colored plastic items coded 1 through 7
- Any metal or aluminum food cans
- Office paper
- Junk mail
The following products are NOT recyclable:
- Plastic Bags
- Small Scraps or Shredded Paper
- Items with food scraps
Please remember to remove and discard all lids and rinse out all containers. Crush plastic and cans if possible. For more information visit Sonoco Recycling.
EVERY TIME YOU RECYCLE, IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
- Plastic soda bottles are recycled into fiberfill, fleece wear, luggage, picnic tables, benches, carpet, buckets and pipe.
- Forty recycled plastic soda bottles make enough fiberfill to stuff a sleeping bag.
- Aluminum cans are recycled into lawn chairs, construction products, aluminum foil and even cars.
- You can save enough energy to operate a TV for six hours by recycling just two aluminum cans.
- Newspaper and other paper products are recycled into writing paper, cereal boxes, paper towels, tissue paper and cardboard.
- Recycling one ton of paper saves 17 mature trees, 7,000 gallons of water, three cubic yards of landfill space, two barrels of oil and 4,100 kilowatt-hours of electricity – enough energy to power the average American home for five months.
- We can easily put Mother Nature’s recycling system to work in our gardens by spreading yard waste around trees, shrubs, and other plantings. Some common mulching materials are grass clippings, green leaves, brown leaves and wood chips.
Where Can Bulk Goods, Tires or Electronics Be Disposed Of?
While the Town does not collect nor disposes of bulk goods, tires or electronics, the following options exist for citizens and businesses to dispose of these items:
- Goodwill Industries (St. Andrews)– Accepts donated gently used items
- Sharing God’s Love – Accepts donated gently used items
- Lexington County Solid Waste
- Richland County Solid Waste
- Tyler Sanitation of Columbia (803)626-9000– Residents can call or submit a Sanitation Request online ahead and schedule a pickup of bulk items with Tyler Sanitation of Columbia.
The Town of Irmo does not provide routine collection services for tires (with or without rims). The Town will periodically work with Lexington County Solid Waste Management, Richland County Solid Waste Management and Keep The Midlands Beautiful to host an event that allows for disposal of bulk items, tires (with or without rims) and Electronics. To dispose of these items, please visit the Lexington County Electronics Recycling Program or the Richland County Electronics Recycling Program website to see where the next scheduled recycling event will be held.
Yard Debris Collection
Yard Trash instructions include:
- All loose debris must be bagged or containerized
- Loose limbs must be no wider than 4″ and 4′ in length
- Weekly pickups limited to three 55-gal containers or a pile no larger than 6′ x 6′
Leaves and Trimmings
Grass, leaves, and small hedge trimmings should be bagged for collection. Debris should be placed in lawn and leaf bags with a capacity of no more than 35 gallons. Bagged yard waste will be given priority over un-bagged yard waste. For un-bagged leaves and trimmings, our Street Department uses pitch forks, shovels, and/or a loader-backhoe to scoop piles. A small amount of debris could remain after collection. We encourage all citizens to bag leaves and trimmings to ensure timely collection and no debris left behind.
Bagged yard debris must be kept separate from other trash and placed at the resident’s front property line. Bagged or un-bagged yard debris is not to be placed in or on any storm drain, gutter, street, sidewalk, or water meter.
The Town will not collect landscaping materials such as railroad ties, bricks, rocks, concrete, dirt or other landscaping construction material. Soil, sod, or other excavated materials will not be collected.
A limited quantity (up to an amount equal to that of a pickup truck bed) of tree limbs and bush trimmings will be collected curbside at any residence on a weekly basis. Materials should be piled as neatly as possible along the curb or edge of the street, preferably with all cut ends laid in the same direction.
Limbs must be no larger than four (4) feet in length and six (6) inches in diameter. Limbs that exceed the length and diameter will not be collected and homeowner/tenant will be responsible for the removal of this debris, unless brought into compliance with Town collection regulations.
Landscaping Contractor Debris
Any landscaper or contractor working for a city resident is responsible for collecting and removing debris from that project. Tenants and property owners must ensure that debris left by any contractor is removed and properly disposed, whether by contractors, property owners, or tenants.