Human Resources Department
The Town of Irmo is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is an At-Will employer as allowed by applicable State Law. Employment At-Will means that regardless of any provision in the application, if hired, the Town or the employee may terminate the employment relationship at any time, for any reason, with or without cause or notice.
Applications are required and are available by clicking the link below. You will be notified if an interview is granted. Employment applications can be mailed, submitted online, faxed or dropped off at Town Hall.
A valid South Carolina Driver’s License with a good driving record is required.
Our benefits offered include State Retirement, health and dental insurance, vacation and sick leave, plus paid holidays.
The Irmo Police Department is seeking applicants for a part-time Victim Advocate Position
FUNCTION: Under general supervision of the Chief of Police, performs duties relating to Victims and Witnesses and their role in the criminal justice process.
- Interviews victims and witnesses.
- Prepares and presents court cases through testimonies and visual aids.
- Work with the Criminal Investigations Division to identify and contact victims, ascertain if they qualify for assistance and then make a referral to an agency or assist the victim directly, if possible.
- Assist victims with applying for compensation and other financial, social service and counseling assistance.
- Inform victim and witnesses of the status and progress of case and investigation through disposition in summary court, referral to the Department of Juvenile Justice, or through final transmittal of General Sessions case to the Solicitor.
- Notify victims and witnesses of arrests, trials and other hearings in their case.
- Provide victim and witness information to the jail, prison, detention facility or Department of Juvenile Justice.
- Work with victim-witness advocates at other law enforcement agencies and solicitor’s offices.
- When needed, provide transportation and security for victims and witnesses to and from court appearances.
- Performs other duties as required.
REQUIRED SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of state, local and federal laws pertaining to the general exercise of law enforcement duties.
- Knowledge of the laws that pertain to victim and witness rights.
- Knowledge of principles, practices, and procedures of general police work.
- Knowledge of Department policies and procedures.
- Ability to speak and write clearly. • Ability to work well with colleagues and the general public.
- Ability to understand and follow orders.
- Ability to perform regular duties on a self-initiating basis with no direct supervision.
MINIMUM TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
- High School Graduate.
- Possession of a valid South Carolina Driver’s License.
- One year of experience in a law enforcement capacity preferred.
NOTE: The listing of duties in this class specification is representative, not exhaustive. It is not necessarily a detailed description of all work responsibilities and it does not give exclusive title to every function described.
Effective Date: July 1, 2019 This is a part-time position with the Irmo Police Department. The pay is $20/hour, for 20 hours a week. If interested, please complete an application.
Thank you for your interest in the Town of Irmo.